Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

What's for Lunch?

Lunch is one meal that for me, gets worked in here or there. I have no real committed time for lunch. I am pretty darn bad too about breakfast. I may have breakfast and sometimes not. I have to change all of that. I have a real weight problem that I have struggled with most of my life.

A few months ago, I finally broke down and joined the gym. My guys had been on my case forever trying to get me to go to the gym with them. I will be forever grateful for their encouragement, love and support. I am down about 30 lbs since I started. I really enjoy it and it feels great to be working on getting back into shape and getting the benefit of the extra spunk that comes with exercise. A couple of things that I know must change are, my meal times and also, making time to put good effort into healthy eating.

Today for lunch, I made a delicious Korean slaw. I am smitten now. My love for Kimchi and the pursuit of learning to make it, inspired this dish today. I made Kimchi this morning. The aroma of the ginger was too much for me so, I had figure out a way to work it into lunch. There is something so pleasing about the smell of fresh grated ginger that I absolutely love. Since I have to wait 3 days for the Kimchi to ferment, I had to come up with a healthy meal choice that I could add ginger to. I had a bag of grated cabbage for making slaw so, I added a few things. 



I almost broke out the chopsticks. 

Korean Slaw
(single serving size)

1 1/2 cups of grated cabbage
1 handful of match stick carrots
2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
1 green onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
1 clove of garlic, chopped
a pinch of sugar
1 teaspoon of Asian Fish Sauce
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 dried chili pepper, crumbled (optional)
You could use pepper flakes instead of a dried chili.

Put all the ingredients into a bowl and toss well. That's it. It is simple and delicious, really!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...