Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Starting Seeds

Papaw kept saying this past week, that it was hard to think  it is already time to get seeds started.

Last night, I took some time to get a few packages of seed started. We have never used this brand brand before. We decided to try 100% organic seed. Some are heirloom and we are in hopes of being able to save seeds this year. I want to find heirloom squash seed. I hear squash is an easy seed to just freeze and save over year after year.

I must say, I thought these seeds were expensive in the scope of seed prices. We paid $2.18 per pack and each pack had very little seed in them so, if you are looking at 100% organic seed and need a lot, you may want to take that into consideration. I hope they sprout and produce good fruit this year. If so, I probably won't be as put off by the price that we paid for them.

Last year, most of our seed came from our local co-op and was not organic. We tried several varieties and were disappointed with many of them. Papaw had to replant a few times.  He wasn't sure he wanted to buy seed in bulk there again this year. I guess we will have to wait and see. 



We decided to give Asian snow peas a try this year along with sugar snaps, which we will be planting those straight into the ground in the next couple of weeks. They like the cooler weather. 

Our winter here so far has been very mild. We had one snow that left us a few inches that laid around for about a week or so. Since it has been so mild, we were able to keep collards, kale and turnip greens going in the garden most the winter, which made our chickens happy. I have been cutting and giving them greens for the past several weeks and it is a treat.

The spikes in the temperatures and the sunny days, sure are sure starting to get us itching to dig in the dirt. I know it is still a bit soon. I guess with at least getting some seeds started, it satisfied my gardening desires for now. 

Hope you all have a very blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...