Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Confessions of a Neglectful Gardener


I have a confession to make...OK, here goes... I totally let the summer get the best of me and things have gotten out of hand around here. I honestly would love to say, I have no idea how this happened but I can't. We got off to a great start in the spring. We tilled, brought in compost and set out our gardens, started seed. I really worked so hard...in the beginning.

We started a new herb garden this year. I have always wanted an herb garden. I gave it careful thought and did a lot of planning. When the time came, I put all of the energy and effort into laying it out and getting it ready to plant. I decided not to use any type of ground cover under the mulch. I WAS GOING TO DEVOTE MY MORNINGS TO WEEDING and a bit of meditation! I was certain that I would keep the grass and weeds under control.  OK so, here are my excuses as to why things got so out of hand.

First, we have had an unbelievable amount of rain at the beginning of summer, which prevented some of the weeding opportunities. I know there still were many mornings that I could have gotten up and got out there to get some of it done but I didn't because the mosquitoes seemed horrible in the mornings because of the rain. So, that was my second excuse.  

At the end of May, my granddaughter’s summer break began and it seemed as if all my good intention regarding gardening went downhill from there.   She and I do not get to spend very much time together anymore since she is back in public school so, when her summer break started, I think I just went on vacation with her. We have been biking, hiking, swimming and when it started getting really hot, we started ice skating, going to the movies and just having fun. So, there you have it. There are my excuses. I know we can all find excuses much more easily than getting the work done. 

Now let me describe the condition of my herb garden because honestly, I am ashamed to photograph it at this point. I can use one word to describe its’ current state, “jungle.” Most things around here seem as if they were growing in a tropical rainforest. Out of control due to the rain, including grass and weeds.  Not to worry though, I have a plan. Below is a photo of what it looked like in the beginning.



A couple of weeks ago when instead of weeding, I was surfing around on the computer. I ran across a very cool gardening tip or suggestion on killing off weeds and grass without using Roundup or one of those products that would linger or you certainly would not want use in a garden or herb garden. The tip was using white vinegar, undiluted as a grass and weed killer. Even if the ph of the soil was a bit out of balance after the fact, adding a bit of lime would solve that problem.

I got busy one evening and dug out my strawberry plants and the other few herbs that I had planted. I treated the areas with the vinegar a few days ago. The article that I read said that it may take a few treatments; however, after the first treatment and waiting a couple of days, I do see it is working.  The grass is dying. Once I do manage to get it all killed off and under control, I am going to lay down a ground cover blanket and re-mulch and then set the plants back into the garden.

So, the moral of my story or the lesson that I am sharing with you is, "listen to your mom." I should have listened to my mother.  Yes mom, you were right! OK, I am certain she would like for me to repeat that again. YES MOM, YOU WERE RIGHT! *grin* She told me when she was up for a visit and helping me with the project, “you should think about putting down a ground cover blanket before mulching.”  I think my response was, “nah, I think I will be able to keep it weeded and under control.” WRONG!!!

On a lighter note, our veggie garden is really doing well. We have a lot of grass growing in there as well but the veggies are still growing great. I am certain it is going to be an awesome year for tomatoes, squashes and okra. We planted corn this year also and it is doing well. I will post a few photos of the garden soon.

I hope you all are having a wonderful summer and your gardens are growing well. I hear here in the south we are in for some really hot days ahead. I hope our gardens all survive.



Many Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...