Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Update: From the Hen House...


Our hen that was laying the daily double yoked eggs, stopped giving us the enormous eggs a few weeks back. We had read that, when a hen is laying doubles, it just means their reproductive system is immature. We had kind of gotten use to not seeing the golly whoopers every day. The largest egg she had laid, before stopping, was 3 inches long, 6 inches around and weighed 86 grams.


Low and behold, she is at it again! Papaw came in from the hen house and announced our biggest egg yet. I never knew a hen could lay such extremely large eggs. This time this one measures 3  1/8 th inches long and 6  1/4 th inches around. It weighs in at 92 grams. It is truly enormous. The 92 gram one is the egg on the right. The one on the left is almost as big. I had to place something up next to it, to give you an idea of actual size. The apple is a good sized Jazz apple.

I will have between 9 and 10 dozen of eggs to share with the family at Doodlebug's birthday party on Sunday. Only a few will be extra large. The other eggs are about medium to large sized eggs.




We have been enjoying the onset of fall, the cooler temperatures  and the crisp blue skies. I have been spending some of my days reading. I have a stack of books, that I have been meaning to get around to and can't wait to read. I have enjoyed being able to relax.  Not having to be on the tractor as often, has given me more time to enjoy fall.

I just recently finished reading Here If You Need Me by Kate Braestrup.It is a very good book about life, the end of life and the changes that life brings. It was a fairly short read. I read it in my spare time in a day and a half.

Happy fall y'all.
Hope you have a blessed autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...