Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Learning To Use A New Lens



Well, I finally got the lens that I have been wanting for such a long time. It is a 1/4f 50mm Nikkor. All the reading that I had done on the lens suggested that it was a great little portrait lens. I started playing around with the the other morning and took a few photos of my grandson. He was in a good mood and willing. I didn't get to snap off very many to test it before he became tired of process but at least I had a chance to get an idea of what the lens can do. I loved the clairty and color that shown in his eyes when I zoomed in to take a look.

I am looking forwad to setting up a little makeshift portrait studio in my living room. I have some great windows that will add wonderful natural lighting. I also have the fabric needed for dying some backdrops. I will be doing that on our next nice day outside. I found a great how-to article at DIY Photography on creating your own backdrops. I also need to hit a few resale shops and look for some nice old vintage drapes or bedspreads to use as backdrops. Some of those could add great texture to the photos I think.

My grandaughter recently had a little accident while turning a cartwheel. She fell and cut open her eyebrow and they used adhesive to close it up at the emergency room but it has yet to start coming out of her brow. I do hope it starts coming out soon. I want to take photos of her and she is a very good model for me and will pose for as long as I need her to. She gives me lots of time and some cute looks. I have taken a few photos of her with the adhesive brow and all my eye does is go straight for that brow. I will be waiting until that heals before taking more photos with her. The down time will give me time to get the other things together that I need too to make my little home studio. I am also looking forward to getting to work with the new lens outside as well. I am exctied to see what it and I can do out of "auto" mode.

I also have been doing a bit of sewing for my granddaughter. Making a few summer outfits and shorts. She is in a size 7 now and I am just not impressed with most of the clothes on the market in a size 7. I think most colthing I see is just not age appropriate for our young girls these days. I always said, once she moved out of 6X I would be doing a lot of sewing for her. Good thing I enjoy sewing.

Below are a few more of the shots that I took of my grandson with the new lens. If you have any pointers using a 50mm, I would love to hear them.

Blessings To You All!




Here's a photo of my gal with the gash in her eyebrow from her cartwheel accident...Just for you Joy!

2 comments:

  1. I want to get a new lens. I am saving up for one. You have to get a photo of the cart wheel accident for memory sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joy,
    I do have photos of the damage by the cartwheel. I will post one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...