Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Search For The Missing Book

I had thought Doodlebug may be trying to tell me something without having to come right out with it.  I have been searching all evening for our book that Doodlebug and I started reading, “Witch of Blackbird Pond.” I couldn't seem to find the book anywhere. I had looked on both night stands, hers and mine and it wasn't there. Usually, that is where it would be because, we had been reading it at night before bed. I pulled out the activities book to work something new from the story into tomorrow’s lessons and it prompted me to grab the book. That is when I discovered, it wasn't anywhere to be found.  The first clue that she maybe wasn’t enjoying the story should have been, when she asked me, “Mamaw, why do the Puritans have to talk like that? Why can’t they just talk normal so that we can understand them?” 

I am not saying that she hid the book but, the smile on her face when I told her I could not find it, well. That said a lot. I did find it. It had slid down behind the night stand. We read another chapter just a bit ago. I told her that I really thought it was important that we finish it. I told her that it was alright if she didn’t like the story but, I thought we should finish what we start. She seemed to agree with that too. We have already read 2/3's of it so far.

We will do a few more of the activities along with it but, I will not dig deeper with it. I do not want to bore her. I think it may not be as age appropriate as I had hoped.  I want our reading time to be exciting.





One of the activities from the companion book of "Witch from Blackbird Pond", was to make a “Gratitude from A to Z” list.  We also talked about Puritans’ beliefs and how strongly they believe that work and religion were the most important things in life. We read about how they were grateful for the little things in everyday life and we talked about those things.  Doodles has to think every day of something starting with the corresponding letter, that she is grateful for. Here is her list so far.





We will be starting Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn next. I do hope she will enjoy that. I always loved all of Twain’s books.  I hope she will love them too.

She also started her creative writing assignments that we are following along with from “The Small World’s Wordsmithery” blog. You can find the link on the right side of my blog. Doodlebug was ask to come up with adjectives to describe her parents and herself. We had a very good laugh. These were indeed her words.

The lesson suggests or reminds the teacher/parent, not to criticize a word choice in order to keep the child reaching for their own creative words and not words they feel would be more accepted by the teacher or parent.  It was a fun exercise and she really enjoyed the different activities today. It was a truly blessed day. 

Hope your week will be a blessed week too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...